Monday, November 10, 2008

Not a natural

Yesterday I kept the nursery at church. I help with the baby room so we have all kids up to the age of 1 or walking. Yesterday we had 9 babies! For some churches this may not seem like a lot, but if you see the size of our church body, you'd understand that this is a lot (we average about 100 folks a week). I quickly learned that just because you are 8-months pregnant does not mean that babies necessarily like you. Luckilly only 2 were fussy, but my efforts to calm them failed and I had to pass them on to Sarah Ashlin who has some sort of magic gift and was able to put both asleep. I'd like to think that I wore them out so they were easier for her to put to sleep. It's kind of like when you are trying to open a jar of jam and the minute you pass it on to someone else they are able to open it. Is it like that with babies?

Sarah Ashlin said it must have been b/c I had to hold them higher because my baby bump was in the way. Sure... good try SA. Let's hope the motherly instincts kick in soon. If not, I'll just bring my crying child to Sarah Ashlin's house and I'll let her put the baby to sleep:)

PS. Thanks to Alexis for praying that my child has a "really good set of lungs" and is able to have a "really healthy cry". If she is born as like the loudest crier ever, I'm so going to let her come to Aunt Lexie's when she's fussy:)

1 comment :

gneebee said...

Remind me to share with you sometime about our experience (Feb 1978) of babysitting a 2 year for an entire week when I was 8 months pregnant with Carrie. It made me wonder if I really wanted children and I got very depressed looking down at my enormous abdomen after that week!

'praying for you as you face the new journey before you! Thank you for being the wonderful wife you are to Todd and wonderful mother you'll be to our granddaughter. Jeanie