Monday, August 18, 2008

Questions for the dentists out there


I went to the dentist last week for my normal 6-month check-up and while I was there I started thinking about all of these things that all of us go through at the dentist (or any doctor for that matter) and how we react to it. Here are a few questions I came up with.



1. Does anyone actually floss? This does not include those who are dentists, or the dental hygienists, or even anyone married to dentists. I mean, actual normal people. I recently asked this question among a group of close friends and no one admitted to actually flossing daily. Some said they flossed weekly, but most of the group really didn't keep up with it. So why then, when you go to the dentist, do they make you feel like that you are the only person on earth that doesn't floss, and that if you don't floss your teeth are going to fall out? I know there is some truth to this, but I'm just not concerned with making it part of my daily routine. I mean, I feel like I have a minty fresh breath for the most part and that flossing really isn't going to help that.

2. Why do the nice ladies cleaning your teeth always ask a lot of questions while probing your mouth? Do you think they have a special club to see who can ask the most in-depth question to a patient while they've got mental ice picks picking away at your teeth? Yes/No questions... sure. But things like "what are you going to name your baby?" are not quite questions I can answer while I've got 8 out of your 10 fingers down my throat. So then, I just sound like a complete idiot while trying to actually answer the question and explain that we don't have a name picked out yet.

3. Whenever I first go into see a doctor or dentist, they always ask "what's new?". Do they mean like what's new with my teeth, or what's new in life? I never really know how to answer that question. I mean, I could tell them all about the new house or the upcoming baby thing, but then I get paranoid that they were really only concerned with my molars and gums. Maybe I just need to start saying "not much" in response to that question and not feel like I'm not being honest by keeping it short.

That's all the pondering I've got for now! Time to go floss.

PS. In case you ever need a picture of teeth (like I did for this blog)... don't ever search Google Images for one. I came across some really disgusting pictures in the process.

No comments :