Thursday, February 26, 2009

People say the darndest things...

All of you who have children probably are used to the random comments strangers make on a regular basis... However, I'm still getting used to it. Here are a few of the highlights from several recent "conversations" I've had with people I don't know.

1. As I was loading Hannah into the car in the Target parking lot today, a gentleman walking by muttered," Enjoy them while they are that age, they are terrible when they are 4". Apparently, the man did not have a good experience with a 4-year-old, and unless he was talking about his grandchild, it has not been a recent experience. The man, who was not exactly a spring-chicken, did not even slow down his pace in order for me to respond. This worked out because in this type of situation I never know how to respond anyway. I mean, what do you say to that?

2. Yesterday, at the Riverwalk, a lovely man and his wife stopped to say hello to our dogs and as soon as Lilly was done licking and jumping on him, he turned his attention to Hannah who was, might I add, looking very cute in her stroller and striped hoody. After commenting on her cuteness and saying hello to her in a voice that was several octaves above the norm, he looked at me and said "She looks like she's what... 12 pounds." Although I was quite impressed by his correct guess, I was also perplexed as to why he felt the need to guess her weight. I mean, are we at the fair playing one of those games where you guess some one's age or weight? I had no overly large stuffed animal to hand him for the correct guess.

3. A week or two ago a nice lady was admiring Hannah and she said "He is so cute" to which I responded "thanks" and then she said "He is so small, how old is he?". Granted, this was my opportunity to correct the lady and let her know that SHE was 2 months, but for some reason I am always embarrassed in this type of situation. Why? I have no idea! Frankly if the nice lady had been looking at "him" long enough to notice that "he" was cute, she would have also noticed that "he" was wearing a shirt that said CUPCAKE on it with pink and red letters accompanying pants that had red hearts on them. Not quite a manly outfit.

1 comment :

Karin said...

Ok I am cracking up!

It was great to see you for half a second at the river last night. (Next time I will make a point to guess how many inches long your baby is.) Hope to see you sometime soon and get to actually meet Hannah!